The following Standard Fire Orders were developed by the fire services. These orders are used as a general guide of what to do in the case of a fire and are used universally.
In order of priority, if you discover a fire:
- Assist anyone in immediate danger and clear people away from the immediate area (only if safe to do so)
- Attempt to contain the fire. For instance, shutting the door of a room that has a fire in it may prevent the fire spreading and causing damage to the rest of the dwelling; closing roller doors to a large warehouse will help contain the fire within that structure
- Raise the alarm: ensure that you alert people internally that you have discovered a fire, activate alarms if available and contact the emergency services (000) immediately
- Attack the fire (only if safe to do so); select the correct extinguisher and attempt to extinguish the fire
- Evacuate to the nearest external evacuation assembly area
- Remain at the assembly area and ensure all occupants including staff, visitors and contractors are accounted for