When an incident occurs outside the school and emergency services or the Chief Warden determines the safest course of action is to keep students and staff inside a designated building in the school (as evacuation might reasonably expose people to a greater level of danger until the external event is handled), the Chief Warden on-site will take charge and activate the Emergency Management Team if necessary.
- Call 000 for emergency services and seek and follow advice
- Move all students, staff and visitors to the pre-determined shelter-in-place area Thorold Theatre
- Take your emergency kit / first aid kit (including your student and staff attendance lists and a copy of this EMP)
- Check that all students, staff and visitors are accounted for
- Ensure communications with emergency services is maintained
- Wait for emergency services to arrive or provide further information
- Maintain a record of actions/decisions undertaken and times
- Where appropriate, confirm with emergency service personnel that it is safe to return to normal operations
- Seek advice from your organisation/auspice body if required
- Contact parents as required.
Actions after shelter-in-place procedure
- Ensure any students, staff or visitors with medical or other needs are supported
- Determine whether to activate your Parent Communication process
- Determine if there are any specific information students, staff and visitors need to know (for example Parent Communication or areas of the facility to avoid)